10/6/10

The Wow factor

So, when we were young  we wanted to do art that would zap the viewer - a photorealistic snarling tiger maybe - both the image and the artist's skill to just nail the viewer to the spot. There's a lot of it about. Later I went through phases such as bright abstract designs (green and red stripes anyone?), huge formats, bright colours. It took me a while to learn about restraint. "A voice in a quiet room". The problem with the wow factor is it tends to either wear off or be less interesting to live with or just that the intent (I'm going to wow you - look how amazing I am) gets in the way...

This looks better smaller, but it still don't look so good. I can imagine what Stape would say - but that don't seem to help me! No "Wow" in this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment